Episode number (sexy and) 17 of the Taking the Charge podcast series is now online. Admittedly, BallinEurope and heinnews deviate a bit from the Continental hoops with this show’s emphasis on Asia. However, our return interview with Jon Pastuszek of China-based NiuBball is certain to be of interest to any fan worth his/her salt. Get the lowdown on the progress of a number of notables playing in or coming from the big country, including:
• Tracy McGrady, he who wanted to increase the potency of his brand with the Qingdao Eagles;
• Now three-year CBA veteran Stephon Marbury;
• Gilbert “Agent Zero” Arenas (and yeah, BiE’s still using that moniker under the believe that, when one prolifigates one’s own nickname, one is stuck with it forever);
• Quincy Douby, formerly of Rutgers, the Sacramento Kings and UCAM Murcia, who recently set the CBA record with 75 points in a single game;
• Charles Gaines, who contributed a 60-point, 29-rebound performance for the opposition in Douby’s record effort;
• Marcus Williams, suspended in questionable circumstances for marijuana use;
• Garret Siler, guest on an earlier “Taking the Charge” podcast, and quite possibly the hugest dude in the league;
• Oak Hill Academy’s Chris Tang, whom a Grantland piece in December inevitably compared to Jeremy Lin; and
• one-legged pro baller Qu Shitao (no, really).
All this and the story of Boss Wang…
Also guesting on the ‘cast is Ed Odeven of the Japan Times who gives us a glimpse into the wackiness of pro basketball down there. (In short, Japan once again proves to be a while other planet, basically.)
Finally, there’s a review of one of the most outrageous sport-related films in recent memory, Shaolin Soccer/Football. This Hong Kong production is one awesome combination of post-Bruce Lee martial arts flick, underdog-starring sports movie and The Matrix.
The entire podcast can be downloaded here. Thanks for listening and talk to you next week!
Tags: CBA, Charles Gaines, China, Chris Tang, Garret Siler, Gilbert Arenas, Japan, Marcus Williams, Oak Hill Academy, podcast, Qingdao Eagles, Qu Shitao, Quincy Douby, Rutgers, Sacramento Kings, Stephon Marbury, Taking the Charge, Tracy McGrady, UCAM Murcia