With 13 games to play tonight in the EuroBasket 2013 qualifying round, BallinEurope takes a quick look around the blogosphere regarding a few subplots, storylines and players to watch. We’ll do this in the time-honored tradition of the ESPN TrueHoop Network, i.e. bullet-style.
● Some in the Spurs Nation were enthused with Davis Bertans’ play for Team Latvia against Romania and Adam Hanga for Hungary generally.
● Team Israel’s Yogev Ohayon is playing like he did in high school…
● …while Guy Pnini “defended his performance” in the first three games by nailing a clutch three in his side’s upset of Serbia, though the woeful shooting continued with a 1-of-5 line.
● After Jonas Jerebko, Detroit Pistons fans will also want to keep an eye out for Slava Kravtsov, described as “dominant” for Team Ukraine against Hungary – after all, team executives are.
● Speaking of Jerebko, *still* no word on whether he’ll be suiting up for tonight’s home game against Bulgaria, but Team Sweden head coach Bradley Dean asserts that “we have no excuses and we don’t want any.”
● Don’t look now, but Estonia’s no. 2 in their group – while Bosnia & Herzegovina and Georgia are knotted up atop Group D.
● By Serbian media assessment, the national team crashed and burned against Israel early and not even insane defense could save them. And is there a tiny undercurrent of criticism of Dusan Ivkovic underlying the cited Blic piece? Just a bit?
● With the second round in sight, Team Italy’s doctors will have a look at Nicholas Melli as a possible addition.
● And finally, The Official BallinEurope Fearless Predictions™, as provided by BallinEurope’s man in the UK, Sam Chadwick. Sam likes Montenegro, Serbia, Germany, Croatia, Ukraine, Georgia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Finland, Belgium, Italy, Czech Republic and certainly the surprise of the qualifiers already, Azerbaijan. On the bubble now but going through will be Estonia, Poland and Hungary, when “it all coming down to the Sweden-Bulgaria game” tonight. Says Sam: “I think Sweden will lose tonight if Jerebko is out.”
Maybe so, but they’ll have no excuses…