With a nod to TrueHoop’s Henry Abbott, BallinEurope presents a few “bullets” from around Europe in previewing six games’ worth of tonight’s Euroleague and Eurocup qualifying round action.
• Hemofarm swingman Marko Sutalo sees the keys to defeating the more experienced (and more American) Alba Berlin as three: Setting the pace, establishing position on offense and controlling the crowd. As the game will be played in the 12,000-seat O2 Arena against one of Germany’s more (if not *the* most) popular teams, that last bit should be something of a chore…
• Former Hemofarm/current Alba Berlin coach Luka Pavicevic notes that, contrary to Sutalo’s desire for a low-scoring game, Hemofarm “plays fast ball, has dangerous long-distance shooters and a [great center].” (“Sie spielen einen schnellen Ball, haben gefährliche Distanzschützen und auch Center, die treffen.”) Presumably Pavicevic refers to last year’s Eurocup MVP Milan Macvan, definitely one to watch tonight.
• Benetton Basket prepared for its Eurocup qualifier against Apoel Nicosia by creaming understaffed Dynamo Moscow, 74-47. Donatas Motiejunas contributed 12 points and an unstoppable force under the basket on offense.
• For you Francophones out there, here’s a summary of Asvel Basket by their opponents and here’s the official English-language Euroleague writeup on the Asvel-Le Mans Sarthe game.
• Speaking of Asvel Basket, the club has added black trim and pinstripes. The result? BiE’s new favorite basketball uniform!
• BC Khimki Moscow coach Sergio Scariolo blogs his thoughts on psychologically profiling Team Spain in advance of Eurobasket 2011. Oh, and in his opinion, Khimki was “brilliant” against Pepsi Caserta.
• Hapoel Jerusalem coach Oded Katash “isn’t waffling” before facing the Belgian (get it?) side Belgacom Liege tonight despite the long odds – and despite Katash’s own assessment that his team is “60 percent ready.”
• And well-travelled Will Solomon returns home (of sorts) to surely feel a sense of déjà vu, as he helped Jerusalem win in one of history’s bigger Eurocup upsets over Real Madrid in 2004.
• Why, yes, BiE has a YouTube of that game. Enjoy!