This week’s “Best of the (Basketball) Net” is a serious grab bag of articles and clips brought to you by hoops-centric websites aplenty this week. Read on to check out terrible free throws, ridiculous dunks, so-so three-point shooting, and Spanish rockabilly, and have a good Valentine’s Day!
• Just for kicks, here’s “The ugliest missed free throw you’ve ever seen,” a clip that pretty much speaks for itself, starring Brady Morningstar of Kansas University.
• From the Wacky Dunks Department (putting in a lot of overtime this week), here’s some trampoline-themed masterpieces. Meanwhile, BiE is impressed with how good Michelle Beadle makes that Team USA jersey look.
• Does any NBA city love its rookie addition(s) as much as Sacramento adores Omri Casspi? Hard to imagine, as here’s another gushy paean to the Israeli; as it turns out, certain Northern Californians are deciding that “Omri” makes a swell name for baby boys. (Incidentally, Casspi went 7-of-17 for 18 points to go with nine points in the “Jewish Heritage Night” game against the Knicks.)
• Speaking of the Knicks, BiE would be remiss in not including video of our favorite Knickerbocker, Danilo Gallinari, in the NBA All-Star Weekend three-point contest. Like Sir Charles says, “Gotta make the money ball.”
• And, just to bring those last three items together, how about that Casspi dunk on Gallinari, eh…?
• European Prospects re-inspects Ratiopharm Ulm’s young SF and asks is “Robin Benzing ready for the next step?”
• Meanwhile, the Stanford University school newspaper has a nice profile piece on Team Serbia’s Stefan Nastic, penciled in as the Cardinal’s center for 2010-11.
• Finally, are you ready for the Copa del Rey? Rockabilly band The Nu Niles are; plus, they’re stoked about the concomitant El San Miguel Copa Music Festival 2010 de Bilbao to be held in conjunction with the tournament. ¡Party on, amigos!