The Olympic Basketball tournament is coming to an end with the ladies’ finals today and the men’s tomorrow. Let’s take a look at some of funny stories from the last few days.
- Let’s start with the play of the semis, Andres Nocioni blocking Kobe Bryant on the reverse dunk.
- Dwyane Wade speaks to the Wall Street Journal about his Chinese experience.
- Team USA about the gold medal game against Spain.
- Lithuania, once again, losing in the semifinals. What a sad story for the little country of only three million people, but three million basketball players. I can only wish for them to win the bronze medal. It was not their day in the semis again: With free throws 44-26 in favor of Spain, three players fouled out and Linas Kleiza disqualified after two technicals, it was tough to beat the world champions.
- The women’s final will be played between Team USA and Australia this afternoon. The two best teams in the world will play for the gold medal.
- Ricky Rubio made the incredible move from U16 European Youth Championships Finalist in 2006 to Olympic Games finalist in just two years. While some players wait a lifetime for such a step, the Spanish supertalent did it at the tender age of 17.
- Dirk Nowitzki will not play for the German national team in “the near future.” He wants to concentrate now on his second dream: the NBA Championship. I won’t be surprised to see him back at Eurobasket 2011 in order to qualify for London 2012, though.
- Talking about London 2012, FIBA is trying to assemble a 16-team tournament, according to FIBA officials.
Powered by Sidelines