Ball in Europe wraps up the week with a slew of YouTube videos – just in case you haven’t seen enough basketball lately…
This edition of “Best of the (Basketball) Net” is all about the numbers. Numbers like 20,000, 3,000, 10-0 and 2011. But enough exposition: Videos await!
• You quite possibly may have heard that Dirk Nowitzki scored his 20,000th point in the NBA this week, becoming the 34th player to do so. Here’s the instant-history moment:
• Any Los Angeles Lakers fan would be remiss in not mentioning, however, that the eventual victory over Dirk and the Dallas Mavericks marked the franchise’s 3,000th win:
• And this just in on the subject of Dirk’s 20,000th: More musing on Drazen Petrovic and what-might-have-been from Mike Monroe of the San Antonio Express-News. Which, of course, elicits the following oldie-but-goodie YouTube (bonus Sam Bowie sightings included).
• FIBA Europe’s official website ran a nice piece on that hoops-obsessed land of Lithuania way in preparation for Eurobasket 2011. We’re waiting for part two…
• From Euroleague play, here’s FC Barcelona
killing against Montepaschi Siena in a game that was n’t even as close as the final score would lead one to believe to become the third team to go undefeated in the modern Euroleague’s qualifying round and the second in the ULEB era. Barca also becomes the first team to go 10-0 in the round.
• Just for the heck of it and/or in tribute to his mind-blowing performance against Montepaschi, a Ricky Rubio video (be patient; the Stern stuff ends at around 0:58). It’s two weeks old, but who’s counting?
• Finally, this is just … wrong.