In what will hopefully become a regular, i.e. everyday, feature here at BallinEurope.com, we present a brief rundown of some headlining sports news. And yes, a video clip, too. In Europe-centered hoops news this morning are the following.
(Incidentally, Happy American Thanksgiving!)
• Splitter will play against CSKA Moscow tonight. As reader/BallinEurope fantasy basketball coach Radallo reports, the ACB has Tiago Splitter suiting up for Baskonia against the Red Army in one of tonight’s marquee matches.
• Weighing in on the draw. The quotebook is still filling up in the wake of the 2010 World Championship for Women draw. The award for reaction of the day, however, definitely goes to the loftily-titled Malian ambassador to the Czech Republic, Her Excellency Fatoumata Sire Diakite: “I have been praying all night for the team of Mali to be in Group C or D, and not A or B. And my prayers have been heard. I would like to ask the representatives of the Czech Basketball Federation to send the cup to Africa this time, because it has already traveled all the continents except for ours.”
• Spain vs. Brazil! While God may want to see the Mali matches, most every other women’s basketball fan awaits Spain vs. Brazil.
• Dragovic is back. Returning for UCLA will be Serbia’s Nikola Dragovic. Dragovic had been arrested for felony assault and was suspended by the team for two games. An attorney for Dragovic has said that Dragovic would be pleading “not guilty” in the case.
• Finally, in tribute to the Answer on the eve of his reported imminent retirement (say it ain’t so, Mr. Iverson):